2021 Certification Application Cycle
Sustainable Jersey for Schools operates on a once a year application cycle, with three submission dates. See the chart below for details on the structure and timing of the application cycle. To maximize the potential for feedback and ultimately achieve certification, it is highly recommended to submit an application with documentation for at least two rounds of review. Applicants who wait until the final deadline to submit an initial application will not have the opportunity to correct any deficiencies until the next year’s certification cycle.
|First Round||Second Round||Third Round|
|Submission Deadline||January 15||March 26||June 21|
|Return Date||Late February||Early May||Early August|
|Timeline & Submission/Resubmission Requirements|
New Program Year Starts
Tip: Submit initial applications in January and March and use reviewers' feedback to help achieve certification.
- Schools seeking certification in 2021 start working on applications.
- Schools with certification expiring in August 2021 begin working on re-certification
- School and District green teams work on completing actions and uploading documentation to their applications.
First Online Application Submission Deadline
- District/school applicant prepares an initial application by uploading available action documentation. Actions marked as “Completed” will be reviewed.
- Additional documentation may be uploaded during the second and final submission review cycles.
First-Round Review Comments Provided
- Each reviewed action will be marked as “Approved” or “Must Revise” with comments provided.
- Applicants have the opportunity to complete required activities and/or documentation to receive credit for actions marked as “Must Revise.”
Second Online Application Deadline
- Districts and Schools that submitted applications in January have a second opportunity to provide documentation and update actions that were marked “Must Revise” or to complete new actions. Initial applications may also be submitted at this time.
- Actions should be marked as “Completed” then submitted for review.
Second-Round Review Comments Provided
- Each reviewed action will be marked as "Approved" or "Must Revise" with comments provided
- Applicants have a final opportunity to complete required activities and/or documentation to receive credit for actions marked as "Must Revise"
Final Decision on Pending Applications
- This is the final opportunity for districts and schools to submit documentation for "Must Revise" or new actions
- All actions submitted should contain documentation to address any deficiencies or meet action requirements.
- NOTE: For applications submitted for the first time in June, there will not be an opportunity to update the application based on the feedback provided until January 2022.
Final Certification Notifications to Schools
- All schools that have met the certification requirements will be considered certified at the bronze or silver level based on the accumulated points total and considered for the Sustainable Jersey for Schools annual awards.
- Certified schools and annual award winners will be recognized at the Sustainable Jersey for Schools Awards to be held at the NJSBA Workshop in October.