2021-2022 NJEA Grants Cycle
The New Jersey Education Association (NJEA), as a Sustainable Jersey for Schools program Underwriter, is contributing $180,000 to support a Sustainable Jersey Grants Program cycle for schools and school districts affiliated with NJEA. With this contribution, NJEA has provided $1.75 million to support a sustainable future for children and communities across the state.
This cycle will award:
- Ten (10) $10,000 project grants to districts and schools
- Forty (40) $2,000 grants to support school green teams
An informational webinar that provides an overview of the grants cycle, tips on crafting a successful proposal, and a walk-through of the online application was broadcasted to the public on August 25, 2021. You can watch the webinar recording by signing up here and can download the presentation slides here.
To be eligible for a grant in this cycle, the following requirements must be met:
- Be a New Jersey Public School District or School that is registered with the Sustainable Jersey for Schools program with a NJEA local association, AND have appointed a Green Team that meets the Green Team action standard. The $2,000 grants are only for registered schools with green teams.
- Funding must be used towards a project that directly relates to an action in the Sustainable Jersey for Schools program.
- Only eligible expenses can be billed to the grant--all other expenses must be covered by additional funding.
Sustainable Jersey has transitioned to new grants management platform. In order to apply, an applicant must first sign up for a profile and then complete the application. For school applicants, the same profile/login information can be used to complete both a 10k and a 2k grant application. This is true for both NEW and PREVIOUS Sustainable Jersey grant applicants. School district applicants should use a different account to submit an application than any individual school.
Please note this account is different from the one used to access your certification application. Learn more about creating a grant account on the Online Application Portal Instructions page. Email submissions of grant proposals will not be accepted. All applications must be submitted using the online application portal.
Online Application Deadline: Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:59pm
For more information about what is required for each of the different application sections, click here. The NJEA grant application is comprised of four sections:
- School Grant Proposal
- Sustainable Jersey for Schools Program Status
- NJEA Local Association President Correspondence
- Grant Authorization Documentation
The first three sections must be completed by the October 29 deadline. The fourth section does not need to be completed until January 14, 2022. If submitting a resolution as your grant authorization documentation, it is recommended that you get the process started as soon as possible in order to ensure that the resolution is passed in time for your application to be considered.
For more information about how your grant proposal will be evaluated, click here. Always make sure to carefully review the evaluation criteria, as this is what the selection committee bases their application reviews on.
Successful grant applications often represent innovative projects underway throughout the state, and can act as a model and generate ideas for other municipalities. Review the Application Tips page for guidance on general grant application requirements to strengthen your proposal.